Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Simplifying your Routines

Last Friday I talked about how I still struggle with schedules.

I have been walking hand in hand with God trying to figure myself out and what works for me. I so desperately want to be laid back. My goodness...I am so naturally uptight and I HATE IT!

I'm going to be homeschooling this coming school year - which by the way, I have hubby's blessing on now. Yes he has concerns, but I have the green light to do that. I still have to prove to myself (and at the same time him) that I can handle it. I so easily get stressed out over the stupidest things! Hubby actually called me a skitzo one morning. Definitely not doing well in the "proving" department if you ask me.

I want to be able to go with the flow, and handle things as they arise.

Night time is horrible for me. 

This is what my routine was:

6:30 - throw a load of wash in, gather all the dishes, clean up the kitchen, load the dishwasher and run it, give the kids a bath, take the trash out, take the dog out and put him to bed, prep morning coffee & tea, make my son's lunch for school, get the kids to bed, throw the clothes in the dryer, shower and go to bed.

Now...you see I put 6:30 there. Hubby works early so we try to go to bed by 8:00. I am so stressed trying to get all that done in that short time frame (remember there are interruptions too).

So I took laundry out of the equation and do it during the day.

But that wasn't enough.

I was still going nuts.

So I prayed...God showed me I can skip the baths (3 year old can take one during the day and my oldest can take a shower in the morning), trash can be taken out in the afternoon, and so can't the prepping of the coffee and tea and making my son's lunch. The dog isn't really an issue...it takes like 30 seconds.

Since I've changed all that I can breathe! Really all I do now is just clean up from dinner and the dishes!

I'm hoping to make a simpler bed time routine for the boys of just brushing teeth, put pjs on, maybe 1 bedtime story and done. I go to bed between 8-9 so at 7:30 I'm whooped. 

Ladies, does your routine drive you nuts? Or is there any part of your day that is really stressful? What can you do to fix it? Pray and really think about it!

Let me know what happens!! :-)

3 comments:

Peggy McPeggy said...

Angell,

YES, this is where I'm at as well. Recognizing that I've been trying (and failing) other peoples versions of how to keep my home. And with two littles under 1 1/2 years, dealing with postpartum depression, it's too much for me.
Something that struck me was this...I need to give myself grace in this season. Things will not be as clean or as neat as I'd like them to be. Things will look messy, and those stains will be there for awhile before I can clean them up. Etc.

I've been praying for His help each day.

I'm going to be starting each day with prayer, and asking Him what's most important for the 'to-do' list for that day only.

I'm usually stressed out at night as well! But our daughter is colicy and has reflux, so it's not really anything we can do to change it, per say, except, through prayer!

Peggy

pandorasjen79 said...

I don't even have a schedule right now. I'm just trying to keep my head above water. I have so many things to get done everyday. I remember when my middle son was a baby I got into a routine and was so good at keeping it that I realized one day that I was bored with cleaning. It was make the beds, vacuum the floors, load the dishwasher every day.

I would give anything now to be so caught up with cleaning that I was bored with it every day lol. I just got my Christmas stuff all down 2 days ago. That's the longest my stuff has ever stayed up.

I want to get my act together because I don't want my sons to be adults and only remember the house being filthy when they were growing up.

It's a process though and once I finish crocheting blankets for my friends kids I will have more time. She is due in mid February so I'm trying to get the blankets done before then :)

Ok I think I'm done now since I wrote a book lol

Shari said...

My husband has a pretty new job and works early too. Our evenings were getting stressful because we were still keeping the kids up til 8pm and barely getting any time to unwind before bed. What has helped us is sticking to a strict 7pm bedtime for kids. Their dad does their bedtime routine while I clean up dinner. It is far from a perfect routine still but we just keep making adjustments. My husband called me a "stress cadet" the other day, LOL. I'm definitely trying to work on it too!