WHEN YOU JUST DON’T WANT TO CLEAN ANYMORE



Have you ever been in a homemaking rut? Are you in one now?...where you just don’t want to clean anymore? After all, it’s just going to get messy in a few hours, really what’s the point? Everything you do, just has to get done again. Picking up toys, cleaning dishes, doing laundry, all have to be done every day. Is it really going to matter if you skip a few days? You bust your butt, only for other people to mess it up…so WHAT IS THE POINT? WHY BOTHER?

Ever say things like this to yourself? I have been in a rut like this recently. I would say that I am 90% out of it now and am here to tell you how to get out of it.

So how DO you get out of this rut? Well first let me ask you, do you WANT to get out of this rut? If I can be honest…I actually liked my little rut. I liked tuning out the world, and just zone out on the computer doing the bare minimum I can around the house. I didn’t want to stop. But you and I both know it’s not a good place to be. God can’t use you and me in this state. I didn’t feel good about myself. I actually have gained a little weight on top of all the weight I already want to lose.

After I figured out that I was in a rut, and decided I shouldn’t be, I had to figure out WHY I was in that rut. Well my personal reasons are because I am home 24/7. We only have one car that hubby uses for work. He was in the process of training people at work and before that he was short a guy, so he literally worked every day. So that means I didn’t get to go anywhere. Really, the only places I have been the past month, is the grocery store and Walmart. If you read my About Me page you would know that I gave homeschooling a try. Well I learned real quick that I am NOT called to do that whatsoever. However, my oldest is still at home. We are finishing off the year, and then next year he will go back to school. So I have him home all day along with me and a very demanding 2 year old. They drive me crazy and I’m usually emotionally exhausted before noon. Homeschooling has actually damaged my relationship with my son and I’m counting down the days for when he goes back to school. I don’t want him to be the new kid, so I’m having him start fresh. We couldn't spare the gas for me to drop hubby off at work to get the car. And even if I could get the car, I had no place to go…again, it all stemmed from money.

My rut came from having and doing the same thing every day, day in and day out feeling trapped in my own home. You can’t tell the difference between a Saturday and a Thursday around here.

So what’s a gal to do when she’s like this? Well here are 7 steps you can follow (don’t we love step programs? Lol)

1 – Understand there is nothing wrong with you for being in a rut. I highly recommend you take a few days off or even a week where you do the bare minimum. Anna, over on My Life and Kids has some funny posts on how to fake clean. HERE’s one and HERE’s another one.

2 – Figure out WHY you are in a rut. What are you reading? Are you comparing yourself to someone else? Are you reading books or blogs that tell you what to do, or other blogs that cause you not to appreciate your own life? I mentioned this HERE about that happening to me. I realized I feel like a horrible housewife because I don’t do a load of laundry every day. That’s because I was following flylady and she taught us to do that. There are no rules in keeping a house. There is no Employee Handbook on being a homemaker. I suggest you change your reading for a bit. I have been focusing on funny blogs like the one I mentioned in #1.

3 – Once you realize WHY, do something to change it. If you are like me, and really don’t want to or even care about getting out of your rut, then pray God changes your heart. I prayed that God gives me a different perspective, a new outlook on my life even if my surroundings and circumstances don’t change right now.

4 – Really grasp the whole “doing it for the Lord” concept. I’ll be honest, when I hear people say just do it for the Lord, I roll my eyes. I love God, but I struggle with cleaning the toilet and TRULY looking at it as if I’m doing it for God. I battle with “how is this important?” Again, pray God opens your eyes to the beauty of homemaking. You clean the toilet because it’s sanitary, because it looks better without those yellow dribbles and hair on it, and you feel better about yourself when you see it clean. Cleaning your home is truly a blessing to your family AND YOURSELF. There is a sense of comfort when the home is clean…like life is in control.

5 – Find things that motivate you to clean. Make sure they TRULY motivate you, and don’t hurt you in the process by making you feel like you’re not doing a good job. What motivates me? Reading Organize and Decorate Everything, watching Keeping up Appearances – that woman is such a clean freak she makes me want to clean. I used to watch How  Clean is Your House – but they stopped airing it.

6 – Pamper yourself! Sometimes we get in a rut because we take care of everyone else and the house, but we have nothing left for ourselves.  I wrote about my homemade facial cleanser and toner HERE…well I have been using them every night. That simple little thing has made me feel really good about myself (I’m cleaning myself with roses!! Granted it’s rosehip tea but still!!) I also have been putting lotion on every day, and putting a little more makeup on.  It makes me feel really good, which is helping me get out of my rut.

7 – And lastly – get determined. You can’t live by your feelings and if EVERY DAY you don’t FEEL like cleaning…well then that’s a problem. I personally look at cleaning like exercising. You don’t want to start, but once you get going, you feel good about yourself that you did it. One of Satan’s number one temptations is to cause us to want to give up. Giving up only hurts YOU. Let me repeat that…giving up only hurts YOU….YOU…YOU…YOU! If you still struggle, please go to God. Pray He changes your heart, gives you a new outlook on life and towards homemaking, gives you a new plan that will work just for you, and on and on. Just don’t give up.

I want you to know that I’ve been there, and I’m still there to a degree. Today’s world makes homemaking feel like it’s not important and sometimes we believe those lies. Don’t…that’s exactly what they are…LIES. Homemaking is filled with a lot of mundane tasks that are very repetitive, but when done are a real blessing to EVERYONE in the house. I’m going to finish this off with a favorite quote of mine:

You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, training them up in God’s fear, minding the house, and making your household a church for God, as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts. - Charles Spurgeon

For an encouraging article on praying through your housework, click on this link to Far Above Rubies

REMEMBER TO COME VISIT ON THURSDAYS FOR OUR LINKY PARTY! You can post just about anything, as much as you want!

Linked to:
Time Warp Wife, Far Above Rubies, Growing Home, The Straightened Path, The Better Mom, These Five of Mine, Plus Two, Lowercase Letters, A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, Women Living Well, Deep Roots at Home, Raising Homemakers, Raising Mighty Arrows, Some Girl's Website, A Pause on the Path,